Saturday, November 10, 2007

El Greco




I've not been very good at updating this blog-- it's hard to get the energy I guess! We went with Ummanim and James to two museums today: the Worcester Art museum (a small museum we happened to pass), and the Museum of Russian Icons in Clinton, Central Mass (where we had a tour).

Above is on of the greatest paintings in the Worcester Museum, a painting by el Greco, Penitent Magdalene. El Greco is known for having weird perspective-- almost as though the canvas is curved.

The Museum of Russian icons is very interesting: a wealthy businessmen from Clinton collected so many Russian icons that he decided to create his own museum to display them. In a regular museum, such icons would be in storage most of the time. Icons are venerated (but not worshipped) in the Russian Orthodox church-- they're becoming really popular again since, after the fall of the Iron Curtain, Russian churches need icons one again.

I'm really enjoying my Women and Health Policy class-- I have found something I enjoy and am good at in that class, and am trying to think of how to use it well and learn more. It's been a long time since I was happy with a paper/essay I wrote, so I am really excited. I am so glad I'm graduating, but I do wish I could continue to study with the people I am studying with right now.

No comments: